New York: Unknown, nd c. 1850. Original edition. Lithograph Print. 12" x 19", b/w lithograph. Very Good. Item #20530
In 1839, a farmhouse located at what is now Fifth Avenue and 23rd Street in New York City was turned into a roadhouse under the direction of William "Corporal" Thompson (1807-1872), who later renamed it "Madison Cottage," after the former president. This house was the last stop for people traveling northward out of the city, or the first stop for those arriving from the north. Aside from being a stopping place for coaches, Madison Cottage offered diversions. Later, the Sun wrote, "Here gathered the sports of the middle of the last century, arranging cock fights and dog fights, prizefights, athletic contests and games of the day." Though Madison Cottage itself was razed in 1853 to make room first for Franconi's Roman Hippodrome and then for the Fifth Avenue Hotel, Madison Cottage ultimately gave rise to the names for the adjacent Madison Avenue and Madison Square. This lovely print deserves to be framed and enjoyed.